Since OpenVPN by default doesn’t store passwords a workaround is to use Keepass and the Auto-Type feature.
How to setup Keepass2
- Start by installing OpenVPN as per the setup instructions for your Operating System
- Download and install Keepass2 from here: http://keepass.info/download.html
We recommend that you use a both a password and a .key file for your Keepass
- Add a new entry in your database for your blackVPN connection, i’ve added it in the internet section:
- Enter your blackVPN username in the username field and your password in the password fields:
- Click OK and then save the file (File -> Save).
How to use the Auto-Type feature to enter your OpenVPN username and password
- Start OpenVPN and select a VPN to connect to.
- When you get the username/password prompt:
- Switch to the Keepass window and right click on your blackVPN entry and select “Perform Auto-Type”:
- Keepass will then enter your username & password into the OpenVPN username/password fields and press enter for you.
(Auto-Type will send username/password to the last window used before going to Keepass, make sure not to click anywhere else.)